Monday, March 19, 2012

Wild Postcards From The Edge (Part 5)



I have a few more postcards that have come trickling in the last couple of weeks but I had to make special mention of these two because they were different.

Someone actually went out and bought two postcards so these are the first I have gotten that weren't Japanese prints. I think because it took whoever the mysterious author was needed two to print their message on.

Other than the one in Klingon (which I had to Google search) this was the first foreign language set that I could actually identify, if not read, without help.

One glance at it and I said "Hey! That's Elven!"

They are written in Sindaran Elven and it's a song called "In Western Lands" written by J.R.R. Tolkien, of course.

Translated, it says this:
In western lands beneath the Sun
In spring, flowers rise,
The trees bud, waters run,*
And the merry little birds sing

There it is cloudless night
And shuddering beeches hold
The starry host, the white jewels,
On their branching hair.

Here at my path's end I am lingering
In deep darkness buried.
Beyond towers strong and high
Beyond all mountains steep

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And stars always dwell.
I will not say 'The day is done'
Or to the stars 'farewell'.


"The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" have been my favorite books for.... Well, Most of my life so far. And as a matter of fact I have just finished rereading "The Hobbit" and am on book one of LOTR right now. Because of seeing written Elven again.

And I would like to thank the sender of these two cards for making me just a little sentimental.

Tuesday is going to be Proposal Day and Festival Of Extraterrestrial Abductions Day as well as Atheist Pride Day, Bed-In For Peace Day, Kiss Your Fiancee Day and National Ravioli Day.

Hmm... Propose to and kiss an Italian Alien Atheist in bed for me while you're at it!

3 comments:

  1. Great post - love the cards...I take it these are from people that know you...as that can't possibly be a real address. 'Cause if it was, I'd be sending you a postcard too.

    Enjoy LOTR! And I'm waiting for a Buddhist Day of some sort, those Atheist's are always getting a day thrown in here and there! *grin*

    With smiles, Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny- Well no. I had to go in and edit out the addy. I would send you my real address (and even my real name) if you wanted it.

    And actually when I searched for it, Buddhist day is March 21st!

    How's that for serendipity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on that Buddhist day....March 21st you say...hmm...in fact I think I'm going to be at the Temple tomorrow...good call!

      Really, I think I'll head to my Temple and do a little soul clearing chanting...it's been a while. (you remember my post about running and chanting, right?)

      Delete