Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Was A Floater

Just not like that. If you read too many detective novels like I do, a "floater" is a corpse found in the water.

They tend to be pretty nasty depending on the water and how long they have been in there.

I was a different kind of floater. And generally not as nasty as that.

Well, for the most part, anyway. I guess that all depends on your point of view.

At any rate, for some odd reason every single one of our Sergeants came into work today and I had nowhere to go. I was completely an extra. All of the housing units were full and all the yards stocked. They even had an extra person down in laundry.

Now if I were a dedicated and conscientious employee, I would have just asked to go home and saved the state the expense of paying me since there was obviously nothing to do.

But frack that. Burn up my comp time or paid vacation time because we were momentarily embarrassed with supervisors? Oh snap no. I grabbed that tiger by the ears and held on for dear life.

I went down to 6 house and hung out with KP and Walleye while Sgt Major went to get his yearly performance reviews done. Then I went and spent the rest of the night taking up space in the yard shack with Uncle T and the lads, swapping war stories and bad jokes.

But By Jiminy Crickets if they had needed an Emergency Sergeant or even just someone extra to do some supplemental sergeanting somewhere (he said, spitting all over the keyboard), then I was there!

Luckily for me, nothing happened and I got to eat my dinner in peace and hang out and do exactly nothing. I never got any keys of any kind and never once even answered a radio call.

It was a good night.

And the day very nearly started off the way I predicted it might last night. Woke up this morning to high winds and tarantula rain and medium sized hailstones battering the side of my house at 6am. It scared me out of bed and when I wandered sleepily into the living room the wife said we were under a tornado watch! Lovely.

What kind of lunatic state is this, anyway?

If I knew how to write, I'd complain to the Governor.

If he knew how to read, that is. Ah, well.

Wednesday is going to be Winnie the Pooh Day, The Do-Dah Parade Day, Thesaurus Day, Peking Duck Day and Maintenance Day as well as the Blackout Protest Day for Wikipedia against the stupidly worded anti-internet piracy bills.

Huzzah! Rejoice! Let the banners unfurl! Release the dang pigeons, already!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! Good for you. Now if only more days could be like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe- It was fun for a night. I wouldn't want to do that every night, though. I'd be bored to tears.

      Delete
  2. The days when we are fully staffed are so slow for my line of work...those are the days I actually polish all of the silver and then arrange all of the sheet music alphabetically. And even that only takes a couple of hours. Then I happily play the pianos or test out whichever flute catches my fancy. (Oh, how I wish we had some LPGPs in stock!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanel- Okay, I just have to ask. What is an LPGP?

      Delete