Saturday, August 20, 2011

Round And Round She Goes!

Well, my plans didn't work out the way I had expected them to. When I left yesterday I was scheduled to be an extra on A-yard. The Fireman was out and they had Mr Peepers in his spot and I was a third.

It was the first time we had extra people on a Friday in a long time. On the way to work I was thinking "If we have enough extra people, maybe I can just take the day off! I got things I could do at home. I'll ask when I get there."

That didn't work. As soon as I walked in Lt Strong said "I need you to go on outcount. We sent an inmate out to the hospital and now they need to move him up to The City for further testing. You and Nook are going."

Well, okay. I went and got transportation keys and a institution cell phone. I figured Nook would get the vehicle. While I was outside waiting, Cricket came trotting up and said "If you don't want to go, I'll go! I've never been on outcount and I need the experience!"

If it was okay with the Lt, it was okay with me. And it was, so we swapped places. Of course, I don't think Cricket was entirely honest about his reasons. Apparently he was supposed to work the Hive and he hates it down there and was looking for someone to trade with.

I don't mind it so much anymore. It still feels strange working down there now and I did get a bit misty and nostalgic when I went through one of the old rec log books in the drawer.

But working the Hive keeps you busy enough that you don't have a whole lot of time for trivia or reminiscences. And all four of us worked together to get rec and med pass and chow done as quick as possible so things went pretty smooth.

And I didn't have to spend my evening on the road or in the hospital or riding in the back of an ambulance which always makes me sick to my stomach anyway.

It's all good.

Like I told Sgt Z when he came in for midnight shift: "We didn't lose anybody. We didn't screw anything up too bad. We didn't break anything and nobody got hurt. It was a pretty good night."

And that works for me.

Here's the weekend lineup:
Saturday is National Radio Day, International Homeless Animals Day (Adopt a shelter pet!), Sandcastle and Sculpture Day and World Daffodil Day.
Sunday is National Spumoni Day, Ecological Debt Day, Senior Citizens Day and Poets Day.
And Monday will be Be An Angel Day and Southern Hemisphere Hoodie Hoo Day.

And while you are out prowling around the internet, go check out Tales From A Motel by my atypical friend Scott, who is an excellent storyteller! Go all the way back to the beginning if you get a chance! He has a very strange tale going here in parts that has kept me riveted for quite some time. I don't want it to end, but I'm dying to know how it turns out!

5 comments:

  1. "We didn't lose anybody. We didn't screw anything up too bad. We didn't break anything and nobody got hurt. It was a pretty good night."

    We don't get to say this very often after a day at school. Good work, rev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chiming in on the last post, I think you should take the money and run because getting anything in today's workforce is damn near impossible.

    I second Brent's comment.

    Lastly, I am either going to piss you off a lot, with Tales from a Motel, or leave you feeling gooey like a Twix bar on the inside.

    safeword: inedying

    What thrill seekers do with eddy's when there are no waves present to surf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent- Sometimes I leave work saying exactly the opposite. I really really hate those nights.

    Scott- I'm going to give it my best shot, anyway.

    And no matter how you go, you'll never cease to amaze and amuse me.

    My mind is already inedying even as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still never found out what "The Hive" was :(

    I think "inedying" is what happens when people stop using a word that ends with "ine" (like calling medicine "medication") and the original word sadly fades away from neglect.

    Now my word is "pherbon" That's what happens when you're pherbing and someone interrupts you and you tell them, "Hey leave me alone! I'm getting my pherb on."

    God that was stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryan- I wish you could have seen how hard I laughed reading your reply. Now I may have to figure out how exactly to get my pherb on!

    ReplyDelete