Saturday, August 27, 2011

(Mostly) Calm

It was my first time to work with Sgt Banty in the Control Center. In my mind, I still haven't made it up to him for bailing on him that one night. Or even admitted to him that's the reason I started going up there in the first place.

The night was fairly uneventful. A few things popped up on the side and I was more than happy to let Stubby handle them, as I didn't have a clue. I tended to my own knitting and kept up on practice count sheets and opened the doors and the gates and kept my eyes and ears open and picked up a few more tidbits here and there.

Made a few radio calls and behaved myself, though the urge to say something silly on the radio comes over me now and then. I like to play with voices now and then and some day I would love to call count as William Shatner or Popeye. But that would get me thrown out of there in a heartbeat so I'll behave myself.

What I try to do when I'm on the radio is drop my voice an octave and say things slowly and clearly. Kind of like one of those late night deejays on the radio. But occasionally something in my brain short circuits and I get a bad case of fumblemouth and I screw it up. Then once I let go of the radio key I smack myself in the forehead.

Ah, well.

Right before 10:00 count I made up my own count sheet and then compared it with Stubby's just to make sure I was doing it right and had the right numbers. Then i got to do the count over the radio but used his sheet because it looked neater than mine. They locked up two right before count and mine had scribble marks and erasures all over it. No big deal.

And I got a couple of calls during the night that said I sounded real good on the radio and I should consider bidding up there for six months or so. Thanks, but no. It's a nice change of pace for now and I'm glad to be able to help out and I want to learn it enough to help make count clear if they need someone in an emergency. But I would go nuts if I stayed up there all of the time. Just like being the bubble in a regular housing unit. I pace back and forth and get cranky and claustrophobic.

So..... No. Not right now, anyway.

Here's the weekend lineup: Saturday is Petroleum Day (keep a lid on it, okay?) and The Duchess Who Wasn't Day. You're on your own for that one!

Sunday is World Sauntering Day. Mosey on down! It's also Race Your Mouse Around The Icons Day, Radio Commercials Day and Crackers Over The Keyboard Day. (Hmmm...)

Monday will be More Herbs, Less Salt Day and According To Hoyle Day.

And there it is....

4 comments:

  1. Your a better man than me. I would hate being stuck up there. I like it inside the wire to much haha well compare to up there anyway. Colic is my safety word. Not a word I want to see with a newborn at the house haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FlyinMonkey- Sometimes I regret my streak of altruism. That place makes me nuts up there. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, of all people who read your blog, understand fumblemouth. I just have it all the damn time.

    ReplyDelete