Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Music Review

Since it was a typical Wednesday and nothing caught on fire, nothing worth reporting happened today so I thought I might give a music review instead.

Actually there was one small incident. It's kind of embarrassing, but I'll lay it out there anyway. I was up in the comm room thinking to myself that it was probably time to go out and smoke before the next rush hit when the phone rang.

It was Miz Fawkes, down at the front desk. She said:

"Hey Revvy, wanna go puff on one with me?"

There was this sound of tires screeching and a crash of metal and the tinkle of broken glass as the two halves of my mind locked up simultaneously. Summoning up the best of what witty repartee I had on hand I said "What?"

She said "Let's go smoke."

Okay. I can do that. Sometimes working in a prison puts your brain in a permanently bad place.

So anyway, JohnT loaned me a CD of Mad Season. Their album was called Above. I had never heard of them and I was pretty surprised when I liked their music.

The story is that Mike McCready from Pearl Jam met John Baker Saunders from the Lamont Cranston Band in a rehab clinic and they thought they might put together some music together. They got together with Barrett Martin from the Screaming Trees and pulled in Layne Staley from Alice In Chains in hopes that being around other musicians who were sober would do him some good.

I know it doesn't sound like a good basis for a band, but it turned out okay. I wasn't a big Alice In Chains fan but I did like Pearl Jam. Most of their stuff was pretty good. This album ends up being a mix of those styles.

The best song on the album was called 'River of Deceit'. I liked it. Check it out.

In other news, Vinnie turned me on to 'Ghost Chickens In The Sky'. It's worth watching.
I cackled. It cracked me up. Insert more bad egg puns here.

So that much sums up my day. Tomorrow is Bunsen Burner Day and National Clams On The Half Shell Day.

Wheee..... I have no idea what I'm going to do with that one. I'll leave it up to you.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I actually thought of buying the CD before. Now I've heard at least one recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan- In my opinion, the first four tracks are hot and the other six are ho hum. But I really do like those first four tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guys listen to Pearl Jam and the Alice band, but I'm not particularly a fan.

    So...are you going to steam clams with a Bunsen burner to celebrate both days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chanel- If I had a Bunsen burner, I'd have tried it. I'm sure the wife would have complained about the smell. She hates fishy and fishy things in general.

    ReplyDelete