Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Practically A Picnic

On paper, I was supposed to be the 3 house bubble tonight.

It didn't so much work out that way, pretty much to my relief. Ms. Archer was down there in the 2-10 slot and I walked down with Stubby.

When we got there Ms. Archer was running the bubble and she batted them big dark eyes of hers at me and said "You don't mind, do you Revvy?"

Oh heck no. Especially when she asks me like that. I don't think I could refuse her anything when she asks like that. Plus, she's somewhere around eight months pregnant and I wouldn't want to see her going up and down the steps in that condition. I was more than happy to let her run the bubble.

Not that I'm a chauvinist or anything. I just think it would be hard on her having to climb those steps as much as she would need to working the floor. I have no doubt in my mind that she would thoroughly dismantle any inmate fool enough to get within arms reach of her if it became necessary.

She's one tough cookie. And cute as a button besides.

So with her running the bubble like she was Captain of a battleship and Stubby out terrorizing the inmates on the floor it left me with very little to do. Between the two of them, I'm not sure which one the inmates are more intimidated by. Stubby teaches Defensive Tactics and knows the book by heart and gets to practice it several times a month. And he's damn quick for a little guy, too. He can get you in a hold and you won't even know it until you hit the floor.

I've been in a few mixups with him as my partner. He's a good man to have on your side.

I made sure that I did my wing walks and the stuff I was supposed to do. I took care of the tool boxes when they came in and out and fetched and carried for Ms Archer when she needed things. I think I justified my existence for the evening.

I was a bit worried when I came in, as it sounded like day shift had quite the time. Apparently some fool took offense to them trying to make him take his yearly TB test at medical and he ended up getting slammed all over the place. And I'm sure at one point while he was on the floor the nurse stuck him with the needle anyway, so it was all for nothing. And there was at least one fight, maybe two during the day. I didn't get all the details, but day shift seemed happy as heck to be leaving.

And as far as I can tell, we didn't even lock anybody up on our shift. If they did, I never heard it.

I hope the rest of the week goes like this. I'm on vacation next week. And that means I'm going to have to either do something interesting or find something interesting to write about for a week.

That should be a challenge. I have a couple of projects I need to work on. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough for me to be out in the shop then. We'll see, I guess.

So, what will tomorrow bring? Well.... tomorrow is Australia Day.

Well, that's cool if you're an Aussie. I wonder why they get a day of their own? Nothing against them, I'm just wondering.... Is there a Greenland Day? Botswana day? Antarctica Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment