Monday, March 22, 2010

Much Ado About Nobody

"Last night I met upon the stair
A little man who wasn't there!
He wasn't there again today
I wish like hell he'd go away!"

There's just a hell of alot of that going on lately. It seems like nobody wants to show up for work.

Me, I need the job and the paycheck and I don't want to spend all of my extra time up in the captains office explaining why I don't show up.

I'm not singling anybody out. No single person, anyway. We had eight or ten call outs tonight and it left things tight all over the camp. And this has been going on lately for awhile.

Most of us don't come to work to cause problems.

Most of us, I say. There are always exceptions.

But when the regular people aren't in the regular places, it causes problems. Things don't get done right. Paperwork gets fouled up. Stuff doesn't happen when it's supposed to.

If you need time off, fill out a slip in advance.

Don't leave all of us hanging.

7 comments:

  1. AMEN!

    When I dispatched, we always had a flurry of "spring fever" when the warm weather arrived. Those of us that showed up to work were rewarded with forced overtime.

    I do not miss being "mandatory personnel."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Me- I hate this time of year. Just not a good place to run short of people. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good for my over-time checks, but bad when I get killed trying to earn them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drew- between the job cuts and the call out's, I have this recurring nightmare of being the only custody officer on the place. I think I would just lock the door and go home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I'm saying. If there's not enough people, just go to a Code 60.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I dispatched for the paper, I had a slew of guys who didn't give a shit about coming in. And, my front line supervision didn't have the spine to do anything proactive about it. In fact, we don't even have a written attendance policy in our employee handbook. What a place I work for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drew- I wish we would now and then. Just to show them we could.

    Joe- We have very strict guidelines for attendance and most people make a mockery of them anyway. Hell, I need my job.

    ReplyDelete