Monday, May 11, 2009

In The Dark

Went in to work after the storms on friday and the power was still out to a good bunch of the camp. The control center was shut down due to lack of power for most of their systems. They still had the radios and power to control the doors and some of the gates.

You could hear the backup generators running all over the place.

Our computer system was down and about half of the phones were out as well. The inmate phones were out. The admin building was dark as hell. And spooky. The building is over a hundred years old. A huge marble and granite edifice lined with dark wood and just dripping with weird feelings. Not a cool place to be in the dark.

I still question the sanity of taking an abandoned mental hospital and making it a prison. Sounds like the plot of a hackneyed horror movie. Creepy freaking place, I'm telling you.

Thought I was going to spend the day catching up on rec, but two of the wobbleheads down in their house decided to beat the crap out of each other right at count time. They both got sprayed and I got involved when they came down. We had to move a bunch of people around just to accommodate them in C-wing.

And of course, none of the moves could be put into the computer because the system was down. It's going to cause a major headache when it comes back up. There were at least fifteen moves made after the system went down. Ach.

Somebody is going to be very very busy. I hope it isn't me.

And, since I got involved with the use of force, I got to spend a large part of my night in the captains office doing paperwork. This captain we have looks like a country version of Ichabod Crane and is so anal about paperwork you'd almost suspect he was getting kickbacks from Weyerhauser.

Legal Notice: I'm not implying there are any kickbacks being given to the DOC or the aforementioned captain. I was just using that as a metaphor. Be advised that if you sue me, I own nothing that is completely paid for. Not even this computer.

Alot of people were out last night. We ran pretty short. Several people still can't get out of their homes or streets because of storm damage. Lots and lots of trees and power lines down all over the county. I heard a rumor that one of our lieutenants lost his entire roof and everything in his house was pretty much destroyed. I wouldn't wish that on anybody but an inmate.

Hopefully we will have power restored today and the computers and phone lines will be back up. Hopefully more people will be able to come to work. Hopefully I can get some rec done. Hopefully we will have some empty beds in the house when I come in. Hopefully my office will stay dry during the next storm coming in.

Hopefully I'll be able to move out of Tornado Alley some day.

Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment