Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Something Different

I know I usually write about working in a prison. That's what this blog is all about. It's hard, it's dirty, it's gritty, it's ridiculous and it's often dangerous.

But working in a prison is not the sum of my life. Thank the gods. I have other things going on outside the wire that are often much more important (to me, anyway) than those nitwits on the inside.

My sister sent me a cool video last night. I thought it was just a cool video and not much more. The link to the video is here: http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741
It's a bunch of street performers from all over the world singing the song "Stand By Me." This guy videoed them and dubbed it all together. It's just awesome. Go watch it. Then come back.

I'll wait.....

Turns out there's more to the story. Isn't that always they way? (grin) Seems this cat and his friends are doing something great with their art by promoting music and the arts all over the world. Building music schools in impoverished areas. Creative writing schools. Refugee centers. Doing good things for people who need it. And in a very cool way.

The place is called Play For Change. Their website is here: http://www.playingforchange.com/pop2.html Go check them out.

If you love music (as I do) and you enjoy seeing something positive coming out of this dark and dank existence of ours, go give them a rub. Contribute. Buy a coffee cup or something. It couldn't hurt, it might help and you'll feel better about yourself.

What's to lose?

Tomorrow I promise I'll be back to my old sour and dour prison guard self. Heck, I may even write about poop again.

5 comments:

  1. All that talent out there, yet Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears are famous. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome. I got that in an e-mail about 3 weeks ago and ordered the CD that's supposed to come out on the 28th of this month. Can't wait to get it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know when you have those crappy days where you come home from work and you just want to break something? (Of course you do - you work in a prison.) Well I watched this video and "One Love" and started bawling because it was just so totally cool. Thanks for sharing this - you are one righteous dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, that's what's good about you Darev, you never lose sight of the grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guy- There's just no accounting for taste.

    Tango- Good for you. I think I can afford a t-shirt or coffee mug. I'll have to save up for the CD.

    Cara- Glad I could help. I usually got TO work to break things.

    g- Ya got me. I'm just an old softie at heart. Don't tell anybody!

    ReplyDelete