Monday, April 6, 2009

Kite Of The Week

We pick up all kinds of notes. Most of them are demanding or begging for tobacco, that being the main stock in trade in the Adseg unit.

Some of them are different.

"Dear Mommy," began one of them. My eyebrows were raised.

Turns out this note was going from one inmate to another.

Ack!

I don't have anything against anyone's sexual preferences as long as it involves responsible and consenting adults. But for some reason inmates professing their love for one another just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

And when the notes came from a little hard core wannabe street thug who swears he "doesn't move like that" yet signs his note "(blank) and (blank) 4 evah" with a cutesy little heart drawn around it...... well, you just don't get much better than that.

And this little thug calls me over to his cell later and tries to rationalize writing that. Yet I am sure that if/when he gets back out on the streets again he would shoot at someone for even suggesting that he might be gay. That he may or may not be bisexual does not bother me in the least. That he's a hypocrite does. And I told him that to his face.

He didn't care much for that, it seems.

Yet that sort of thing leaves us in a moral dilemma. As I said, I have no problem with sexual orientation between adults. But sexual activity between inmates is against the law. And we are required by law to attempt to prevent it.

So now we have to forward this information up the chain to try and prevent these two from ever being placed near each other. They may even transfer one of them off the camp. It's heartbreaking, I know, but it must be done. It's the law.

As amusing as these notes are sometimes, it's often more trouble than it's worth to pick them up and read them.

1 comment:

  1. i don't know. just seems that some guy packin' it into the beehind of another dude just ain't right.

    ReplyDelete