Friday, January 30, 2009

Still Covered In Ice

Even though the walks and entries have been cleared, the rec yard is still covered with a thick sheet of ice, now about four inches thick. I guess I should have tried to get the snow removal crews to come down and clean it off, but they were running full tilt just to keep the sidewalks open and if they weren't busy, then I was.

So it didn't get done. My heart was in the right place, but the opportunity never occurred.

We went out last night and tried to make a path and get a head start on the melting process. We spent maybe two hours out there with these huge steel coal shovels trying to break the crap up. Well, I say "we" but I started to do it and got four or five feet down the path and my back started twinging again and Sarge made me quit. So I had to sit out and man the phones while everyone else worked. Pfui.

It should be fairly warm today and maybe BG can get some rec done this afternoon. If his help shows up, that is. There's been a problem with that, lately. Some people have been riding this "inclement weather" thing into the ground. We still had people claiming they couldn't get to work yesterday. Yet another buddy of mine said he'd been out prowling the roads all over the county and said even the gravel roads were clear. I dunno. I guess I'm just a fool for a paycheck. I don't think I've ever not made it in because of the weather. I've been late a few times, but that's it. I can understand some of the folk who live way out in the rural areas. A few of them I wouldn't want to get to in good weather. I drove out to someones house one day and thought I may need a conestoga pulled by oxen and I seriously considered setting up a base camp about halfway and continuing on the next day. And his driveway was like a dirt roller coaster.

So hopefully the little angels will get some of their rec time this week. Then they'll have to find something else to cry about.

I'm sure they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment