Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ups and Downs

Just a bit over five years ago I started work for the Department of Corrections. Like everybody else, I had a bad opinion of people who worked in prisons. Most of that I had gotten from mainstream teevee. Any show you see that has a "prison guard" (we don't call ourselves that) tends to depict them as bull necked beetle browed sadistic thugs who only exist to abuse prisoners or make money by selling them drugs. Or both. That's not entirely true. Granted, there are some who fit that profile to a tee. There are some people I work with who only work there so they can be mean to someone else and get paid for it. Yes, and several of my coworkers have "gone over to the dark side" and been caught bringing in things they shouldn't have or doing things they shouldn't be doing and they no longer work there. But for the most part we are just average people who need a job and want to go home in one piece after our eight hours are over. And some days we get home unscathed. Some days we don't. It happens. Some times people are going to be stupid no matter what you do to avoid it. The only thing you can do is try to make sure, to the best of your ability, that you or none of your fellow staff get hurt. Sometimes that happens, too. We do the best we can and motor on down the road.
Anyway, this is my first attempt at a blog. I'll write some more when I have something more to say. And I always have something to say.... trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment